Saturday, October 6, 2007

Tailgating Treats

As you all know, when fall rolls around that can only mean one thing...FOOTBALL!!!!! I don't know if I love football more for the game, or more for the snacks :) Any time we have a football or tailgating party, I'm always in charge of the desserts (obviously), and with the biggest college rival football game for New Mexico coming to Albuquerque I could not disappoint. I thought long and hard about what to make and decided to stick to the classics. Rice Krispie Treats and Smores! I have been a Rice Krispie Treat fanatic since I was a little girl, and who does not like Smores? Both have one of my most favorite flavors/tastes/textures and that is a ooeey gooey melty marshmallow! (I think the pictures say it all).



These are the easiest snacks to make, and can be done in a variety of flavors. There's even a new Chocolate and Vanilla Rice Kripsipe Treat Mixed Cereal available now! I decided to keep it simple this time and stick to the original, which was outrageously amazing, as usual!

Ingredients
3 tablespoons margarine or butter
1 (10 oz.) package regular marshmallows
- or -
4 cups mini marshmallows
6 cups Rice Krispies®
Directions
1. Melt margarine in large saucepan over low heat. Add marshmallows and stir until completely melted. Remove from heat.2. Add KELLOGG'S RICE KRISPIES cereal. Stir until well coated.3. Using buttered spatula or waxed paper, press mixture evenly into 13 x 9 x 2-inch pan coated with cooking spray. Cut into 2-inch squares when cool. Best if served the same day.

As for the Smores, I found this recipe while looking at the Betty Crocker website. It's a peanut butter cookie base and then has the chocolate, marshmallows and Honey Grahams cereal on top. I was a little worried that the mixture would have the tasteof peanut butter, due to the cookie dough, but to my surprise this tasted EXACTLY like a Smore! This was great too because I could just it into bars and serve it to the tailgating crew! Not as exciting as roasting marshmallows over the open flame and waiting until they catch on fire, but hey it'll work :)


Ingredients
1pouch (1 lb 1.5 oz) Betty Crocker® peanut butter cookie mix (
Water, vegetable oil and egg called for in cookie mix directions)
1container Betty Crocker® Rich & Creamy chocolate frosting
2cups miniature marshmallows
2cups Golden Grahams® cereal
Directions
1. Heat oven to 350°F. Make cookie dough as directed on pouch. Press dough into ungreased 13x9-inch pan.
2. Bake 16 to 18 minutes or until golden brown around edges.
3. Spoon frosting into microwavable bowl. Microwave uncovered on High 15 to 20 seconds; stir frosting until smooth. Reserve 1/4 cup. Pour remaining frosting over warm bars. Sprinkle marshmallows and cereal over frosting.
4. Bake 3 to 5 minutes longer or until marshmallows are puffed. Cool 15 minutes. Drizzle reserved frosting over bars. Cool completely, about 30 minutes. For bars, cut into 6 rows by 4 rows.

2 comments:

Avory said...

Mmm, sticky! I'm just dropping by today to let you know about a food blogging event I'm hosting, called "A Vegetarian Feast." It's not a requirement that participants be vegetarian, just that the dish you submit contains no meat, so I'm hoping I can get some of my favourite dessert bloggers to submit an entry. The first round is thanksgiving themed, but broadly it can include any vegetarian dishes that use fall ingredients or make you think of Thanksgiving. If you're interested in participating or mentioning the event on your blog, you can find details here. Thanks!

How To Eat A Cupcake said...

ooooohhhhhh lllllaaaaddddyyyyy!!! your blog is one of my FAVORITE food blogs ever. your recipes ALWAYS make me drool!

i love you!!