Monday, November 5, 2007

My First Paid Cake!

While sitting with my feet in warm bubbly water, relaxing and ready to enjoy my pedicure I felt a sudden vibration against my leg...cell phone! "Hello?" "Hi Steph it's Aunt Dawn and I have a huge favor to ask of you...I know you're only promoting Babycakes as a monthly special for baked goods, but I', in a bind and need a birthday cake for one of the ladies in my office. Do you think you could make me one?" With a huge smile on my face, excited that my baking dreams are coming true I simply answered "Of course!! What kind of cake do you want?" "Well I need a 1/2 sheet of carrot cake by Monday." "Ok no problem! What do you want it to say?" "Happy Birthday Glenda, and I'm gonna need it by Monday, is that ok?" "That'll be fine! I'll bring it by the office around 9ish" "Oh thank you so much sweetie! You are a lifesaver!!"

And that's how it started...my Sunday long project of baking and decorating a half sheet of carrot cake for my new found business! I can't really explain to you all how good the cake tasted, since I didn't get to eat a chunk of it :) But I did taste the batter (with a spoon) and it was soo good! I added some ginger and orange zest to give the cake a special hint of flavor, and I also re-hydrated my raisins before adding them to the mix. And let me tell you what a life saver Kitchen Aid was...I just attached the grater on to the mixer and let the mixer do the work of grating 6 cups of carrots, the whole grating process took about 3 minutes!! Brilliant.

I was a little nervous to decorate the beautiful cake, but after practicing for a few minutes my confidence level was built up and away I went. I only had one smudge, but was able to cover it up with the plain white cream cheese frosting. I think over all the cake came out fantastic and am hoping that this will opening up the some baking doors for me :)




6 comments:

Cheryl said...

That looks absolutely fantastic. Your decorating skills are just spot on. What a lucky recipient that woman was. I see big things for you.

Jenny said...

Congrats! The cake looks great!

glamah16 said...

Congrats. Its so rewarding when we just do it for fun,experince,and practice and people insist on paying us. Looks wonderful.

Shandy said...

Your carrot cake looks absolutely beautiful! WoW! What did you use for the sides of the cake? It looks delicious =D

Steph said...

Thanks you guys for your sweet and supportive comments :)In answer to Shandy's question, the sides are decorated with chopped walnuts

Shandy said...

Well Steph, it is truly beautiful! I love your ideas and I think with your positive attitude, you will be a *huge* success! =D