Tuesday, January 8, 2008

When Life Knocks You Down, Have Pie!!

It's funny how each of us choose to deal with life's mishaps. For some people they journal, for others they open themselves up to friends, for me I turn to dessert. There's something about dessert that is so comforting to me. The aroma, the taste, the texture, the amazing combinations of flavor, all appeal to my sense and turn a horrible day into sweet sorrow :) Dessert will listen to all of my problems and never once judge me or correct me, dessert agrees that I am always right and offers me it's shoulder to lean on.

But it is that sense of comfort from dessert that I find so mind boggling! I mean even after writing the ways in which dessert offers me comfort and solace I still find it hard to believe that food has that kind of effect on people. The effect of becoming your best friend when dessert can't even talk. How is it that I trust dessert with so many of my secrets and feelings, but am too afraid to share them with people that I've known my whole life? Or when I feel all alone in this big world that dessert can turn it around, making me feel instead that I am on top of a little bitty world?

Maybe I will never know what it is about dessert that draws me in so close, and maybe I don't need to. If a slice of pie makes me happy, then by gosh I'm gonna have it! So here's to finding happiness in the New Year, however that maybe!


And to kick off my year of joy and happiness I turned to an amazing recipe from Epicurious for a Triple Berry Pie with Crumb Topping. Suddenly the holiday blues melted away and I was reminded of the warmth of the sun shining on my face in the midst of summer. My feet gently sweeping across the prickly spears of green grass, while relaxing with a nice glass of cool ice tea. I'm telling you, this pie took me to the wonderful days of summer that I am so longing for, and was allowed to escape to for a few blissful moments!

1 comment:

Cheryl said...

Oh dessert gets me through so many difficult times too. Unfortunately then it doesn't get me in my normal size pants.