Monday, July 28, 2008

Summa' Summa' Summa' Time

Can I just say how much work sucks! Here I am, nearing the end of summer, not yet been able to take a vacation, more tired than I've ever been and only realizing that this is the way of adulthood. There aren't any more nights of riding my bike around the neighborhood past sunset. The idea of playing with June Bugs is no longer appealing. Staying up past my bed time is not even a thought. And I hate to say it, but all of my "chores" are now completed before my adulthood bedtime of 9:00.

Where do the days go? Summer used to last forever. It was full of vacations, sleepovers, loads of ice cream, watermelon spitting contests and nights of sleep out on the giant trampoline in the backyard. Now all I dream about when i get off work is getting some food in my belly and going straight to bed.


Life's funny isn't it.


We always want what we can't have, and when we get to the point of having what we've always wanted, we realize that we don't want it anymore. I guess that's the way the cookie crumbles, or so I've heard. But at least we have food to help take us back to those lazy summer days!


So, here we are at yet another Tuesday, celebrating another recipe down in this journey to complete Dorie's amazing book! Michelle, of Michelle in Colorado Springs, was our hostess this week. And what a treat she chose...Dorie's Summer Fruit Galette. And let me tell you, there could not be an easier recipe out there.


My Peach Galette with Pomegranate Jelly came together so quick and easy that it will definitely be one of my go to recipes when I'm ready for something quick and easy! Hope you all enjoy! Happy baking :)

12 comments:

The Food Librarian said...

This looks lovely!!! And I completely agree that summer just isn't the same anymore with work...

marae said...

it looks so pretty!! i don't think i will be able to make this one but all the pretty ones i am running across are making me sad ... i might have to try it and just be late!

PheMom said...

Great job! I completely agree about summertime - but now I try to remember and give those times to my kiddos, so it helps a bit - but it isn't the same either - in a lot of ways it is better though! ; )

Susie Homemaker said...

Funny - I used to sleep on a trampoline sometimes, too!
Great looking galettes- but thanks for the trip down memory lne i had forgotten how summer ued to be!

chocolatechic said...

ooOOoooo Pomegranate jelly....sounds so good.

Rigby said...

Your galette looks scrumptious! I love your fruit/preserves combination :)

Pamela said...

Quite a thought provoking and truthful post! When we're young, we wish for time to fly. And when we grow up, it goes way too quickly.

Engineer Baker said...

Makes you wish you could live life backwards, huh? Beautiful galette though.

Eleganza Strings/ The DeLadurantey Family said...

Pomegranate jelly, sounds very unique. Great pics!

Summertime said...

Pomegranate jelly sounds awesome! Your galette looks great. And I completely agree, work sucks.

Bungalow Barbara said...

Thanks for the memories of summer! That's a beautiful galette and I bet it tasted wonderful too!

Dolores said...

Welcome to adulthood Steph. I confess I miss many of the same things you do about the summers of my youth, but I'll take a slice of this galette over chasing lightening bugs and sleeping on the trampoline under the stars *anytime*. :)